| Environmental Interdistrict Magnet School
Opening September 2009
The Environmental Interdistrict Magnet School -- Click here to enlarge
The mission of the Stamford Environmental Interdistrict Magnet School is to create a diverse school community through a challenging program of environmental studies that fosters a culture of collaboration, action learning and stewardship.
Core Beliefs of the Environmental Interdistrict Magnet School:
- Experiential Learning
- Students can learn best when learning is interactive and they have opportunities to make choices, contribute to the learning process, and have their ideas and involvement valued.
- Children learn best with instruction that promotes integrated hands on, authentic, project-oriented experiences that develop stewardship of the environment both during the school day and beyond.
- Community Learning
- Students are respectful, responsible, participative members of their school and community.
- Students need a sense of their own place in the world and a sense of their own powers.
- Student Achievement
- All students are capable of learning at high levels and bring their own strengths and histories as well as the strengths of their families and communities to the learning process.
- The curriculum should foster rigorous interdisciplinary skills.
- Parents are an integral part of the school community.
- A culture of learning in the school is enhanced by building on community and other educational organization partnerships, family strengths, and other relevant connections.
- Staff responsibilities
- Staff members are committed to the school mission and core beliefs.
- Staff works cooperatively to deliver relevant standards-based instruction experiences that motivate student interest in environmental stewardship.
- Feedback facilitates continuous improvement and enables all participants in the instructional process to know whether standards and expected outcomes were achieved.
- Staff members participate in professional development to prepare them to provide a project-based, environmentally-focused curriculum to their students. Teachers at the school may have opportunities to participate in science-based externships at local environmentally-focused organizations and scientific corporations as well.
- Leadership, communication, innovation and creative thinking promote positive change and growth.
- The school culture must foster teamwork, shared decision making, and collaboration based on the mission and core beliefs of the school.
Visit the Stamford Public Schools Home Page